|1328||First documented mentioning of the settlement of Müritz.
The word „Müritz“ is Slavic and means „region on the shore“.
|1352||Expansion of the of the St.Clair nunnery property, which owns the settlement Müritz.|
|1525||The first settlement in Graal is established, which is described as leasehold property in later documentation.|
|1567||Graal is mentioned in Rostock's tax documents for the first time. The border between Graal and Rostock is the creek Stromgraben.|
|1752||Graal is divided into small properties.|
|1753||The first bylaw is issued in Graal.|
|1806||Both settlements (Graal and Müritz) are occupied by the French. After joining Napoleon's army, soldiers receive supplies to build houses in Müritz upon return.|
|1816||Müritz becomes a village.|
|1819/20||Beginning of spa-tourism.|
|1830||Drastic increase in spa-tourism.|
|1840||The beaches in Graal and Müritz are mentioned for the first time in publications.|
|1852||Beginning of construction of the mill in Graal.|
|1860||Decrease in spa-tourism.|
|1872||A storm surge destroys the coast.|
|1876||Creation of the volunteer fire department|
|1877||Dr. Carl von Mettenheimer (personal doctor of the Duke of Mecklenburg) discovers the special environmental properties of Graal-Müritz that are beneficial to general health.|
|1880||Opening of the first hotel, Hotel Anastasia, in Müritz.|
|1884||Dr. Carl von Metternheimer opens the first children's hospital on the Baltic coast.|
|1903||The first school is built in Müritz with one classroom and one teacher apartment.|
|1905||Piers are built in both villages.|
|1907||Founding of the warrior and men sports club „Good Health“.|
|1908||The Duke and Duchess inaugurate the Lutheran church and graveyard.|
|1909||Construction begins of the water works and a water reservoir tower for both villages.|
|1921||Graal and Müritz receive electric power.|
|1924||The German Red Cross buys land in Graal and builds the first recreational home for children.|
|1925||The Berlin Transportation Company builds recreational facilities. The company becomes the main shareholder for the connecting train system to Graal-Müritz, which was opened in July 1925.|
|1926||Founding of the sports club „TGS 1926 Graal“|
|1929||Opening of the Youth hostel|
|1938||The communities of Graal and Müritz are merged by decree and are now Graal-Müritz.|
|1941||The piers and boardwalks are destroyed by rough sea and ice.|
|1942||Parts of Rostock's children's hospital are moved to Graal-Müritz after bombing of Rostock.|
|1945||On May 2nd, Graal-Müritz surrenders without resistance to the Red Army.|
|1947||The first tourists return after the war due to the workers' union holiday programs.|
|1951||The recreational center owned by the Berlin Transport Company is renamed after the politician Richard Aßmann.|
|1953||Due to communist policies, multiple hotels are nationalized.|
|1954||A special needs school for physically handicapped students opens on September 1st.|
|1955||The local government decides to found the Rhododendron Park.|
|1958||Dr. Bernateck becomes the medical superintendent for the sanatorium „Richard Aßmann“, who develops the clinic into one of the leading rehabilitation centers of the German Democratic Republic.|
|1960||Graal-Müritz receives official recognitions as a coastal health spa.|
|1968||After the destruction of the beach due to flooding, the boardwalk is moved to the west of the city.|
|1970||The communal agricultural production coops are dissolved.|
|1986||The Rhododendron Park receives the recognition as a state natural landmark.|
|1990||The AKG buys the sanatorium and restructures it as a rehabilitation center.|
|1992||Groundbreaking for the new pier|
|ab 1993||Building of several Hotels|
|1993||Inauguration of the new pier|
|1995||Severe storm tide in November|
|1996||Funding of the coastal emergency services „Wasserwehr“
Groundbreaking for the „Haus des Gastes“ (house for the guests)
|1997||Opening of the „Haus des Gastes“|
|1999||Privatizing of the Spa Administration and founding of the „Tourismus- und Kur GmbH“
The TSV 1926 sport club's soccer team enters a regional league for the first time.
|2000||Beginning in June, the local „TUKI“ bus improves the transportation system.|
|2001||Rebuilding of the groin in Graal-Müritz.
125th anniversary of the volunteer fire department.
|2002||Graal-Müritz exceeds a population of 4,000 for the first time.|
|2003||10th anniversary of the pier
Reopening of the maritime traffic to Graal-Müritz.
Graal-Müritz celebrates its 675th anniversary.
|2004||The „Heimatstube“ (local culture museum) becomes a full-fledged museum.
Opening of the sports and recreational center, Aquadrom.
Reopening of the train tracks between Rostock and Graal-Müritz.
|2005||Restructuring of the Rhododendron Park|
|2008||Inauguration of the new pavilion in the Rhododendron Park.
Opening of the Nordic-Walking-Parks
|2010||Inauguration of the new community hall of the Lutheran community|
|2011||Inauguration of the „poetry oak“ in Rhododendron Park
Flooding of the century
Inauguration of the adventure playground
|2012||Under the motto „Great Art,“ a total of 9 sculptures to touch, sitting or climbing were set up on the promenade. These larger than life-size sculptures are supposed teach children about the flora and fauna of the Baltic Coast.|
Tourismus- und Kur GmbH · Rostocker Straße 3 · 18181 Graal-Müritz · Phone +49 38206 7030© 1999 - 2013 ISuMA